Students travel to Spain and Germany

Spring break 2019 was a once in lifetime opportunity for some students that took a foreign language class at North Hardin High School.

The morning of March 31st, 25 students and 5 chaperones flew out of Louisville, Kentucky to Detroit, Michigan, Detroit, Michigan to Amsterdam, Germany. Then, to their first final destination, Madrid, Spain.

Day 1: In Madrid, the students explored Europe’s highest capital, the world stage for bullfighting and home to the world’s most famous soccer team! As well as, Opulent Palacio Real, built in 1738.

Day 2: In Madrid, the students took a Walking tour that explored the Puerta del Sol, The Plaza Mayor which is the Renaissance hub of the city and The Museo Del Prado. Ending the day by eating at a restaurant immortalized by Hemingway in The Sun Also Rises and visiting the Prado Museum.

“My two favorite things from the trip to Europe were visiting La Sagrada Familia, because seeing a church that took over 100 years to build and still isn’t finished was super cool. As well as, visiting Nueschwanstein Castle, because the view at the top was beautiful. On my next adventure with my students I would like to go to Switzerland and Austria,” Mrs. Lauren Davis said.

Day 3: In Madrid, they went sightseeing of the extravagant Palacio Real, built by Bourbon King Philip V. Once the seat of the most powerful court in the world. Then, having an extravagant Flamenco evening which is a unique art form combining guitar playing, singing, chanting, dancing and hand clapping.

Day 4: Bus ride from Madrid to Barcelona, Spain, stopping off at Zaragoza, Spain. A quintessential Iberian city, founded by Caesar Augustus in 19 BC. Visiting the Basilica del Pilar. Finally arriving in Spain’s second largest city, Barcelona.

“The whole trip really just made me think of life differently. I’ve always had a passion for travel so I was stoked that I got to be a part of this and make memories I’ll never forget,” Shay Hellinger ’20 said.

Day 5: Arrival in Barcelona, Spain. The students participated in a guided tour of the Barrio Gotico, the oldest surviving port of the city. Continuing on to the Gaudi’s masterpiece, the fantasyland of Park Guell. Then, enjoying a marvelous harbor view from the top of Montjuic Hill, where much of the 1992 Olympics took place. Ending the day with a delicious Tapas Dinner

Day 6: Plane ride from Barcelona to Munich, Germany.  Starting off the day with a walking tour of the very heart of Munich, the twin copper domes of the Frauenkirche, a long-standing symbol of the city. Following with a visit to Marienplatz, once the intersection of medieval trade routes. Then, past the Hofbräuhaus, Munich’s most famous beer hall. Where on a good day, almost 30,000 liters of beer are sold.

“It was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. It opened my eyes to other cultures and how people act differently,” Kaitlyn Cline ’20 said.

Day 7: Their guided tour took them past the Olympic Stadium, the headquarters of BMW, and the fashionable Schwabig district. Passing the Residenz,  the Deutsches Museum, and the Alte Pinothek. The tour concludes at Munich’s medieval heart where you’ll see the city’s famed Glockenspiel. Along with, visiting Dachau Concentration Camp. Since 1933 Dachau gained notoriety as Germany’s first Nazi concentration camp. Which stands as an eternal memorial to those who endured life there until liberation by Allied forces

Day 8: The students explored and hiked up a mountain to The Neuschwanstein Castle, the real-life model for the Disney World castles. Ending the day with Dinner and show at the Hofbrauhaus. The original Hofbrauhaus was built in the 16th century by the Bavarian Duke, Wilhelm V.

Day 9: April 7th the NHHS students and staff flew from Munich, Germany to Atlanta back home to Louisville KY.

“The hiking was worth it at Neuschwanstein because the view was so stunning. Plus our tour guide was clutch. Lit,” Hailey Overstreet ’19 said.