Student Survives House Fire

Trinity White, Staff Reporter

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






     William Peak ‘21 experienced a devastating house fire on December 7th, 2018.

     In Vine Grove, KY on one restful afternoon, the clay flue liner in the chimney cracked resulting into the fire from the wood stove to lite the gutter on fire.

     “The only thing that was on my mind was getting my family out of the house, and trying my best to save the house,” says Peak.

     William even said he tried to put the fire out himself with the backyard water hose but nothing seemed to work.

     William and his family were rushed to the hospital for 2nd and 3rd-degree burns and smoke inhalation.

     “I had caught an upper chest respiratory infection afterward due to inhaling smoke inside the house,” Peak said.

     After the fire, Peak returned to school and friends were there to comfort him, but he just wanted to be alone.

     “I felt tired coming back, but it kinda took my mind off of the situation, so it was alright,” Peak said.

     After doing a follow-up with William, he says that his family and himself are fine, and doing well. “I’m doing alright, just been busy with work.”

Major events like this have caused stress on many people, but William says the event “didn’t much change about me, I’m just grateful to be alive.”  

The community gave their love and support to William and his family, he says “It felt weird having so much support from the community, everything I’ve ever had I worked for, so people giving back to me was weird.”

Days after the fire someone had broken into William’s garage and stole their tools, and then it happened again a week later.